Friday, October 22, 2010

Gold, Frankincense, and Myrrh

My Jehovah's Witnesses friends told me that I was celebrating a Pagan religion by indulging Christmas, and that I was worshiping a false idol by having a Christmas tree.  I told them that I didn't worship the Christmas tree.  It was only for fun.

That's what Christmas should be.  Fun.

My JW friends, who claim that everything in the Bible is literally true, should have reflected that the Three Wise Men of the East brought the baby Jesus gifts of Gold, Frankincense, and Myrrh.  Perhaps that's where the idea of gift giving at Christmas began.  Clement Moore's poem, "Twas the Night Before Christmas", describes a "sleigh full of toys", presumably for the children.

Today, Christmas shopping is big business.  Retailers depend on it to make their year.  With the economy barely of of a recession, it's almost a duty to do your bit by helping out the merchants.

Some people love the shopping, the "getting into the Christmas spirit".  For others, its a burden, not knowing what to buy, who to include, as well as the financial stress.  Do you really want to buy someone a gift that they don't want or receive a gift that you don't care for?  For everyone who loves the excitement of being in the stores, there is someone who shops at the last minute, feeling the obligation. For them, it's not really fun, but something to get through.

We had gift exchange at work.  It was voluntary.  The spending amount was limited to $10 or $20; and everyone listed two or three items that  were in this range that they would like.  You knew that they would be satisfied with what you bought.  It seemed to work.

While I enjoy Christmas, I've never quite understood the need to give gifts to adults.  For some, exchanging gifts is tied to self-worth and approval.  Failing to provide sufficiently may be resented.  Children may notice if a brother or sister receives a more coveted gift than they do.  It becomes a sensitive situation. Do you really want self-esteem to be tied to the willingness of others to buy you things?

Personally, I belong to the group that would reduce the obligation of giving and receiving gifts, in favour of simply enjoying the get-together.  This can be just as much fun.

1 comment:

  1. I agree about buying gifts for adults on Christmas. If I want something, I can buy it for myself. If someone were to treat me to a great restaurant, however, I would never argue with that. We had a gift exchange last year in our office. The maximum price was NT$500 (around US$15). That was actually kind of challenging. Plus you couldn't tell the person who it was from. Name were drawn from a hat.

    For kids, it's different. Christmas is usually really exciting. Perhaps you're right about the self-esteem thing. That's why it's important to consider your words and actions if you are an adult around children.

    ReplyDelete