Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Labour Unions

For most of my working life, I belonged to a union.  I'm glad I did.  Today, I have a comfortable pension; the majority of my health care premiums paid; as well as extended health care benefits, which cover 70% of prescription drug costs and other health-related items.  When I was employed,  I had decent working conditions and fairly certain job security.  I also had a voice in my employment.

I've also been in and seen situations in which the employees had little power.   Between 1968 and 1971,  I worked off and on with the United Farm Workers Organizing Committee (today the United Farm Workers of America), headed by Cesar Chavez.  Farmworkers are excluded from the National Labor Relations Act, which means that they can't compel an employer to bargain with their union, even if a majority desire it.  The result is an industry which has the lowest paid jobs, harshest working conditions, least job security of any. Most agricultural labour in the U. S. (and possibly Canada) is performed by immigrants, many undocumented, who have few legal rights, and are left to the mercy of labour contractors.

Many employers in the U. S. and Canada ignore labour laws.  I once worked for an employer, who ignored the Ontario Hours of Work Act, which required an employer to pay overtime rates to employees  working more than 48 hours in a week.  Some of the staff complained to me about this. When I called it to my employer's attention, he told me that it was none of my business.  I attempted to report the practice to the Ontario Employments Standards Branch and was told that they didn't believe me, and that only persons directly affected could file a complaint.  I attempted to sign up staff for a union, was only partially successful, and was informed by my employer that I had resigned.  When I applied for Employment Insurance benefits, I was penalized for quitting my job.  When I told the EI worker that I had been fired for trying to organize a union, he told me to appeal through the union, which of course I couldn't do.  If you think getting union recognition is easy, it's not.

I believe that employees should have a voice in their workplace.  Some people resent  "the power" of unions.  I think they are misinformed.  Most of the power lies with the employer.  Having a united front is one way of exercising  influence, which an individual would never have.   

3 comments:

  1. I believe that employees should have a voice as well, a big one; unfortunately, most of them are too scared to say anything. Most often, they've got offspring relying on them, a mortgage to fulfill, a nag of wife that keeps them from being normal and so forth. Me and you have been in a different situation for our younger years on this one. We've been single for a good portion of our lives. We haven't had anyone depending on us (this is really important if you want to speak up against an asshole of a boss) and have had some money in the bank. Plus, we figure we've already got a foot in the door on our way out; complaining comes easily when you want to quit.

    This is a meaningful post. I hope you can expand upon it. We'd like to know more about what you were up to when you were working for Chavez or a young single guy in Ontario. You could get a bit more anecdotal. That would help to make your narrative more solid. Actually, what I mean is it will make your narrative more honest on this post in particular. In general, you are a very honest blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "That would help to make your narrative more solid." What I mean is "That would help to make your narrative solidify, or get home."

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's true. I've never thought that I should stay in an unhappy situation. There are lots of job opportunities after all; and if you don't mind being low income from time to time, and only have yourself to worry about, even easier to move on.

    ReplyDelete