Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year's Day

We all had a very enjoyable New Year's Day with four generations.  Vera said she liked the time with her great grandchildren as much as or more than Christmas.

Given that the children are young, they are very well-behaved.  The parents do an excellent job with them; much more patient than my own upbringing.  I have a pretty strong sense of right and wrong, so the possibility of my correcting them always looms.

Christmas Dinner at Grandma's 1948
The four-year-old climbed on the sofa and knocked a picture off the wall.  I told him firmly to get down, and he went off and pouted with hurt feelings for a time.  Fortunately, his parents didn't rescue him, and after awhile he returned to the group and we reconciled.

Sometimes I ignore boorish behaviour; sometimes not.  A few years ago, I told the grandson not to suck his food off the plate and to use a knife and fork.  He was surprised, but did what I asked.  He still wears his cap in the house, even to the dinner table.  I just absorb this, since no one else seems to notice.

On some occasions, such as Christmas, I also absorb cigarette smoking in the house.  The offenders know well my attitude, but apparently assume that they are safe in the circumstances.

The grandson's girlfriend didn't appear for either Christmas or New Year's Day.  This is sad, because she misses sharing the occasion with her son, but all we can do is invite her and see what happens.    

The holidays were a big success.  We escaped healthy, a few pounds heavier, and resolved to accomplish a few things in the new year that we put off in the old.

No comments:

Post a Comment