Thursday, July 14, 2011

Dreary in Vancouver

I suppose if all I have to do is complain about the rain in Vancouver, things can't be that bad.  After all, about  one-third of my Facebook friends are leading miserable lives (according to them), either struggling with relationships, health problems, finances, drugs, loneliness, or what-have-you.

The irritations in my life are always temporary.  Right now I have the deck half-stained and can't continue, because it's been raining for the last three days.  Pretty small problem.

On the other hand, some of my "friends" struggle with divorce, relationship break-ups, chronic health problems, unaffordable health insurance, drug addiction, isolation, unemployment, anger, depression, etc.  It seems to rain on them continuously.

Some individuals seem to be able to "right the ship".  Others just seem to lurch from one unhappy situation to another.  You would like to tell them to analyze their situation, cut out the bad habits, make a plan, follow it up.  But it's usually not that simple.  Bad habits, refusal to take responsibility, inability to "move on", are ingrained.

I suppose I've experienced things in life that would depress others.  But I've always had as a first principle never to let myself get down, never to dwell on misfortune, never to be without a plan, never to put the control of my life in the hands of others.  If one thing doesn't work, try another.  Maybe I've just been fortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment