Saturday, August 21, 2010

New Year's Resolution

Last Christmas I received a new bathroom scale.  It showed my weight about three pounds higher than on my old scale, settling that a new year's resolution would be to lose some weight.

I decided on twenty pounds, an amount not being overly ambitious if I stayed with it.  I also decided not to try to lose it all in a hurry, having had previous experience with losing weight rapidly and then seeing it come back on.

The method I used was simply to weigh myself every morning and to record it on a spreadsheet.  This seemed to work.  Last Tuesday, I finally arrived at my goal. (Forget that I've since added two pounds in celebrating.)  I lost ten pounds during January to March; and ten more from April to August (4 1/2 months).

Now I need a new goal.  In the short run, to lose another five pounds to provide a cushion for the fall and Christmas season.  If  I dream of returning to my university days though, I still have a bit of work to do.

At the time I made my resolution, grandson Dave thought he might "bulk up" and add twenty pounds.  If he did, we would be the same weight.  I wonder how he's doing?

 


4 comments:

  1. Well, David's sitting at 145, so he definitely hasn't reached his goal. To be fair, he's not actually trying in any way, and he had a couple of setbacks (strep throat and dental surgery).

    ReplyDelete
  2. 145 was my university weight. If I want to reach that, I'll have to lose another twenty pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Lesson: It always pays to inquire."

    I agree. You usually can get something.

    We were at Jason's Supermarket in the basement of Taipei 101. I waited ten minutes for service at the deli counter. There was one girl serving and two more standing around. I asked one of the other girls for some cheese; she told me that she only did meat. So I gave up.

    I had a coupon I could use if I spent over NT$1000. I had around NT$1400 in the cart. But when I went to pay, the cashier said I couldn't count alcohol toward the NT$1000. I was NT$36 short (about a buck US). So I inquired, to the manager. After walking him through the deli fiasco, where he discovered two of his lazier employees had lost his store NT$400-ish, he said he'd honor the coupon. I also got an apology for crappy service and a free Jason's tote bag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems I put the last comment in the wrong place. It should go in the previous post.

    ReplyDelete