Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Retail Service - Sears

When I was sixteen, I had a summer job working in the boy's clothing department at Fedway Department Store in Bakersfield.  We had a few rules, the first being that no customer was ever to be left alone in the department. If there were no customers requiring service, I was to straighten the displays. 

Every friday, I reviewed my weekly sales with the manager.  I always seemed to sell a little less than the other two clerks, which I assumed to be from my lack of experience. I would try harder.  The bottom line was that I took pride in my job and pride in the store.

Last Monday I went shopping at Sears in Guildford Mall.  I have a long attachment to Sears, being the preferred budget store of my youth (before the arrival of  WalMart,  Zellers, and Canadian Tire).  They had khaki pants on for $39.99 (regular price $70.00).

I was appalled.  The pants display was in total disarray.  They were pulled out, scattered, strewn everywhere. I looked around for a salesperson.  No one in sight.  I walked through the department looking for someone, primarily the manager.  Aside from a young woman at the check-out, keeping time to the beat of the store's music with her head, no one was on duty.

I came to the shoe department.  Shoes and boxes scattered everywhere.  What a mess.  A sign read that shoes were on sale, 30-40% off.  I guessed that the weekend had been busy; but this was 12:30 pm on Monday.  Didn't they expect customers today?

I realized that I could find what I wanted and take it to the check-out.  I thought about it.  But no.  My Fedway training was too much.  I left the store.

It's curious to me what various retailers have as a business strategy.  Many provide excellent, helpful, friendly service.  With others, you are on your own.  But Sears is not Walmart, and their prices are considerably higher.  If they aren't competing on price, then they have to compete on service and quality.  I haven't given up on them, but they need to wake up.   
 

4 comments:

  1. Fedway was a locally owned, standalone department store on the periphery of a downtown core. You could find such businesses in mid-sized North American cities some fifty years ago. Brock's, a more upscale competitor two blocks closer to the city centre, was another example in this California town of some 50,000. There were some chain stores in the vicinity. Sears Roebuck was the best of these. Most, such as J. C. Penney's, were discounters that provided less service. Woolworth's and Kress's were essentially large dime stores.

    Stores such as Fedway and Brock's had all their eggs in one basket. They could only compete on service: if they didn't, the company folded. These were the best places to shop. Unfortunately, we no longer have that option, at least among department stores.

    I've never entered a Walmart, and I never intend to, so I can't comment on it. I find the alternatives pretty much as you describe Sears. The service is so pared down to compete on price points that you are pretty well on your own to locate and evaluate products. For some reason (masochism?,) I go to Zeller's. I don't recall ever having seen a clerk there except at the till.

    It's odd what you remember. It runs in my mind that at one time Fedway had the only escalator in town. That in itself was a draw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is major construction going on at Guildford. They are doubling the size of Walmart. This will change the dynamics of the Mall, where Walmart already has the largest volume of customers.

    I went back to Sears to buy a steam iron. They had two T-fal models for $69.99 and $89.99. No one offered to help me, although I saw some staff not far away.

    I went to Canadian Tire, found the identical models for $49.99 and $69.99. I got some assistance from a salesperson, bought the one for $49.99, and went home satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suspect that the internet has an impact on customer service levels. I recently bought an air purifier from Canadian Tire. Before doing so, I checked the inventory on line at the closest store, read the specifications and feedback from other customers, and went to the manufacturer's web site. This allowed me to gain more information about the prospective purchase than I could in the store--and at my leisure. The only question I needed to ask when I finally got to the store was: "Where are the air purifiers?" You can do the same thing at Sears or almost any other chain store.

    We also bought new computers this year: completely on line from Dell. We didn't make any purchases until we had researched the options and were completely satisfied. It certainly beat going into some place like Best Buy and listening to some clerk spout incomprehensible techno-jargon. If you're going to buy computers or electronics in person, my experience is that London Drugs is the best choice. Not only have I found their staff knowledgeable and service-oriented, but they also speak as much as possible in plain English. I suspect they have a better commission system than most.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do the same thing. My desktop computer is a Dell Dimension E521, which I bought online.

    Canadian Tire recently updated their store and now have a customer service counter at the entrance. I asked, "Where are the steam irons?" "Aisle 53". "Thank you".

    I bought a Sony e-reader at Best Buy and got treated like a potential shoplifter. After unlocking the display cabinet, the clerk actually walked the e-reader up to the cashier, who held it behind the counter until my turn came. I commented to the cashier that this practice may not be winning over some of the older customers, like myself. I realize, however, that it's probably being forced on them.

    ReplyDelete