Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Time is Relative

Time may be defined as the interval between events.  It is measured by clocks, calendars, stars, and our own nervous systems.

Time is also relative.  What seems a long time ago to one person is only a short time to someone else.  I certainly remember the 1960's well:  civil rights, a race to the moon, a never-ending war in Asia, and the Beatles.  To others, these are events from the history books.

When I was younger, I knew many people born in the 1800's.  My grandmother was born in 1895.  She told me stories of her parents, born in 1862 and 1867; and of her grandparents, born in the 1840's.  While I didn't know any of my ggrandparents, I know stories about all of them; and in some cases, stories about my gggrandparents.  Only before that, is it strictly from the history books.

From my perspective, my personal history (events experienced by myself or related to me by others) runs from the mid-1850's.  The average birthyear of my gggrandparents was 1829; of my ggrandparents 1858; of my grandparents 1888; of my own parents 1917.  Some of my blogs will be about these people. This may seem strange to some younger people.  It amuses me when I hear people talk about the "good old days", and then find out that they are talking about the 1990's.          

No comments:

Post a Comment